Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 17 Nov 2024, 09:13 am Print

Three arrested over flares fired at Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu's residence. Photo Courtesy: X page videograb
At least three people were arrested after a pair of flares were fired at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s private residence in Caesarea on Sunday, media reports said.
The flares reportedly landed in the yard of the residence.
No damage to property or casualty has been reported so far.
Netanyahu and his family members were reportedly not present in the house.
The Israel Police’s Lahav 433 major crimes unit and the Shin Bet are investigating the incident, which they said 'marks a dangerous escalation', the news portal reported.
Security services have described the incident as "serious".
"Two flares landed in the courtyard outside the prime minister's residence," police and the Shin Bet internal security agency said in a joint statement.
"The prime minister and his family were not in the house at the time of the incident. An investigation has been opened. This is a serious incident and a dangerous escalation," it said.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog condemned the incident and warned "against an increase in violence in the public sphere.
"I have now spoken with the head of the Shin Bet and expressed the urgent need to investigate and deal with those responsible for the incident as soon as possible," Herzog said in a post on X.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the flares.
The incident comes after a drone attack targeting Netanyahu's residence on October 19, that was latter claimed by the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah.
Since September 23, Israel has escalated its bombing of Hezbollah targets in Lebanon.
They even sent ground troops after almost a year of limited, cross-border exchanges that Hezbollah militants started over the war in Gaza.
- New releases from OpenAI to be delayed, says Sam Altman on X amid Ghibli viral trend
- China carries out major war games around Taiwan, escalates tension in region
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at earthquake aid convoy, no causalty
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at Chinese earthquake aid convoy after it fails to stop
- Elon Musk announces scammer who stole personal information of 400K Americans to be arrested