At least 10 lions have been killed in Kenya in the past week, as per Kenya Wildlife Service.
According to reports, six lions were killed by herders on Saturday.
This is “an unusually large number of lions to be killed at one go,” a spokesperson for the KWS told CNN on Sunday.
It comes after conservationists announced the killing of one of Africa’s oldest lions, Loonkiito, at the age of 19 earlier this week.
He had ventured out of a protected area and into a livestock pen due to being “starving,” and was killed by the livestock owner, according to conservation organization Lion Guardians, as reported by CNN.
The six lions that died on Saturday had killed 11 goats and one dog, the KWS said in a press release on Saturday.
The lions were all part of Kajiado County’s Amboseli ecosystem, a UNESCO biosphere reserve site near Mount Kilimanjaro, according to the UN, said CNN.
- Scientists are now planning to reintroduce Dodo, Mauritian Wildlife Foundation and US-based company sign partnership for project
- Biodiversity and ecosystem protection highlighted on Mother Earth Day
- Australian govt lists Koalas as endangered species
- Rare coral reef discovered near Tahiti is ‘like a work of art’, says diver
- US: Snow leopard dies in zoo after suffering from COVID-19