India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 24 May 2026, 02:18 am Print
Trump said the peace deal proposed to Iran was close to completion. Photo: ChatGPT.
US President Donald Trump on Sunday claimed that a peace agreement with Iran has been “largely negotiated” following talks involving Israel and other regional players, potentially signalling an end to the three-month-long conflict in West Asia.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the proposed agreement was close to completion and that only final details remained before a formal announcement.
Trump Speaks To Netanyahu
Trump said he separately held discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing the call as positive.
“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote.
He described the proposed arrangement as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE”.
Iran Says Focus Is On Ending War
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the immediate focus of the discussions was ending the conflict across all fronts, including Lebanon.
According to Baghaei, the proposed memorandum contains 14 clauses and includes discussions on halting what Iran described as a US naval blockade, as well as the release of frozen Iranian assets.
“At this stage, our focus is on ending the imposed war,” he said.
Dispute Over Strait Of Hormuz
Trump also claimed that the strategically crucial Strait of Hormuz would be reopened under the agreement.
However, Iran pushed back against the claim, insisting it would continue maintaining control over Hormuz.
Reports suggest Tehran may only permit shipping traffic to return to pre-war levels rather than restoring unrestricted access.
Nuclear Programme Not Part Of Talks Yet
While Trump hinted at a broader breakthrough, Iran said negotiations over its nuclear programme have not yet taken place.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps reportedly dismissed Trump’s announcement as “propaganda”, according to Fars News Agency.
The IRGC said no commitment had been made by Tehran regarding its nuclear activities and stressed that the issue had not been discussed in the current phase of talks.
Pakistan Offers To Host Next Round
Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif welcomed the reported progress and said Islamabad hopes to host the next round of US-Iran talks soon.
Sharif praised Trump for his “extraordinary efforts to pursue peace” and said Pakistan would continue supporting diplomatic efforts in the region.
Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir also reportedly discussed the evolving situation with Trump during a telephone conversation.
- US: Secret Service kills armed man after shooting near White House Security perimeter
- Dumpster drama goes prime time: Trump’s AI takedown of Colbert ignites explosive late-night showdown
- China mine disaster: 90 die in devastating explosion, emergency rescue underway
- Thailand tightens entry rules, ends 60-day visa-free stay for Indians
- Shock executions: Iran puts two Kurds to death over 'separatist' charges

