Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 15 Sep 2021, 10:28 am Print
Korean Conflict Image credit: South Korea Defense Ministry
Seoul/JEN: Both North and South Korea on Wednesday test-fired ballistic missiles amid the escalating tension on the Korean peninsula, CNN reported quoting officials in Seoul.
Earlier in the afternoon, South Korea and Japan claimed that North Korea had launched two 'unidentified' ballistic missiles five minutes apart, at 12:38 pm. and 12:43 pm. local time (11:38 pm. and 11:43 pm. ET), and those missiles had landed in the waters between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
The Japanese Defense Ministry said that the North Korean projectiles had fallen in the waters off the eastern coast outside Japan's exclusive economic zone, and there was no report of any damage to ships or aircrafts from the missiles.
Less than three hours after the North Korean launches, Seoul successfully fired its first submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) from the submerged 3,700-ton submarine ROKS Dosan Ahn Changho, becoming only the seventh country in the world with the advanced technology, South Korean officials said.
South Korea's Defense Ministry stated without sharing more details that the missile had hit its target accurately.
Video of South Korea's submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) test today, courtesy of @ROK_MND. pic.twitter.com/0hDhfOtptj
— William Gallo (@GalloVOA) September 15, 2021
The ministry said that South Korean President Moon Jae-in was present for the test, which had been carried out from a submarine at an undisclosed location on Wednesday (Sept 15).
Days ago, North Korea's state controlled media claimed that the country had successfully tested a new-type long-range cruise missile last weekend, which was 'a strategic weapon of great significance'.

The US military's Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM) said in a statement that it was aware of reports of North Korea's missile launch.
Image credit: Rodong Sinmun
- Australia’s PM Albanese just made history — Marries Jodie Haydon while in office
- Canada fire disaster: Five die, survivor leaps from roof to escape inferno
- City engulfed in tragedy: Hong Kong fire death toll touches 94
- Trump drops shocking news: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom dies after being shot by Afghan national
- Deadly Hong Kong Fire: death toll touches 44, 3 arrested

