Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 28 Apr 2021, 07:46 am Print

Photo: Elin Tabitha/Unsplash
Colombo: Sri Lanka has cleared a proposal to put a ban on all facial coverings in public.
The said proposal was cleared by the country's cabinet, citing national security concerns.
The move comes two years after the deadly Easter bombings, carried out by Islamists, killed 269 people, incluidng the eight bombers.
Cabinet spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella said, "The Cabinet has approved the proposal…it will now go to the legal draftsmen and then be brought to parliament.”
Earlier in March, Minister of Public Security Sarath Weerasekara had hinted about the move.
However, Sri Lanka said that it was just a proposal and the island nation was in no hurry to implement the ban. According to reports, Colombo's stance was based on garnering support from Muslim countries ahead of an important UN vote regarding Sri Lanka.
Meanwhile, the Sri Lankan cabinet's decision has already triggered concerns.
According to reports, Pakistan's envoy to Colombo has said that the proposal, if given a nob by the parliament, will injure the feelings of Muslims in Sri Lanka and across the globe.
- Israeli forces eliminate key Hamas figure behind psychological terror
- China imposes 34 percent additional tariffs on all imported US products from April 10
- UN says fresh intensification of hostilities in Gaza left 280,000 people displaced
- IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva warns US tariffs pose a 'significant risk' to global outlook
- Liberation Day: US imposes 37 percent tariff on imports from Bangladesh