Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 30 Oct 2019, 06:46 pm Print

Moscow/Sputnik/UNI: A French citizen who injured two people in an attack on a mosque in the southwestern city of Bayonne, was found to be partially sane, French media reported on Wednesday, adding that the fact pushed the National Anti-Terrorism Prosecution Service (PNAT) to drop the investigation.
On Monday, the 84-year-old man identified as Claude Sinke tried to set the mosque's doors on fire and shot two people who tried to stop him. He was arrested by police while attempting to flee. In 2015, Sinke was a candidate for the far-right National Rally political party — previously known as the National Front — in a regional election.
Following a psychological evaluation, he was deemed to be incapable of fully comprehending or control his actions, according to the French BFMTV channel. With that in mind, the PNAT announced that it would drop the investigation.
Marc Mariee, a Bayonne prosecutor, has said that despite the diagnosis, an attempted murder case remains against Sinke.
The prosecutor added that the perpetrator had intended to take revenge for the fire in the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral, which, according to the accused, had been orchestrated by members of the French Muslim community.
- Trump announces 75-day additional deadline to find non-Chinese buyer
- Myanmar Junta continues attacks despite declaring ceasefire after earthquake, claims anti-junta groups
- Israeli forces eliminate key Hamas figure behind psychological terror
- China imposes 34 percent additional tariffs on all imported US products from April 10
- UN says fresh intensification of hostilities in Gaza left 280,000 people displaced