|Remote, United States
|01 Dec 2023, 05:37 am
|14 Dec 2023, 12:00 am
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Department: Finance & Administration
Reports to: Chief Finance Officer (CFO)
Location: US-This role is open to US-based candidates only with authorization to work in the US.
The Senior Accountant is a member of the US-based Village Enterprise finance team. Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Accountant is responsible for accounting for US and selected East Africa subsidiary transactions on a daily and monthly basis, account reconciliations, monthly financial reporting, and cash flow projections, grant financial management, coordination of the annual budgeting process, data consolidation for the monthly budget variance analysis and forecasting, and support to external and internal audits. The role requires a thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), compliance with accounting standards, application of accounting knowledge in a nonprofit environment, and expertise in financial reporting and grant management for nonprofits. This role is open to US-based candidates only with authorization to work in the US.
Duties and Responsibilities
Financial Accounting & Reporting
• Review accounting transactions and reports of all Village Enterprise entities for adherence to internal financial and accounting guidelines, controls, and GAAP.
• Perform monthly bank and investment account reconciliations and other support functions during the monthly closing cycle.
• Reconcile intercompany transactions between US and other subsidiaries to ensure costs are recorded in the appropriate cost centers, accounting periods, and funding sources.
• Review foreign currency revaluation entries monthly for accuracy and reasonableness and make necessary adjustments when needed.
• Perform monthly grant transaction reviews in each subsidiary for accuracy and completeness and prepare restriction release entries in NetSuite.
• Assist with other month- and year-end closing procedures as assigned.
• Maintain and update the revenue recognition determination as new grants are secured.
• Prepare monthly general ledger reports and update the consolidated financial statement and budget variance reports in collaboration with the US and East Africa Finance team members.
• Prepare monthly cash flow and rolling forecast reports in coordination with the Development and Finance team members.
• Work with the CFO to prepare monthly and quarterly financial report packets, including balance sheets, income statements, cash flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis to the Executive Team and the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee.
• Participate in evaluating, improving, and documenting policies and procedures related to finance and administration.
• Assist with implementing and maintaining financial controls per policies and procedures.
• Maintain and update Village Enterprise’s consolidated lease schedule quarterly, including preparing quarterly and annual entries per the new lease standards (ASC 842).
Budgeting & Forecasting
• In collaboration with the CFO and Senior Director of Finance: coordinate the annual budgeting process by creating timelines, distribute templates, ensure budget holders complete their draft budgets on time, coordinate discussion between Finance and other departments, lead the consolidation and reconciliation tasks of final draft budgets and the import of Board-approved budget data into NetSuite.
• Prepare monthly budget vs. actual variance reports for the US subsidiary and departments and communicate results to budget holders.
• Coordinate the collection of quarterly financial forecast data from all subsidiaries and update the forecasting model for the CFO review and analysis.
• Support the annual external audit of Village Enterprise entities in collaboration with the CFO, Finance Support Associate, the Senior Director of Finance, and other team members in the Finance and other departments.
• Prepare trial balances, audit schedules, supporting documentation for sampled expenses, internal control forms, etc.
• Track all Village Enterprise entities' audit and tax filing billings and ensure accuracy and timely payment.
• Assist CFO with coordination of meetings and deliverables between external auditors and the Board of Directors’ Audit Committee.
• Cross-train in accounting support tasks such as processing check, ACH and wires payments, processing payroll and NetSuite administration
Education, Qualifications, & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Master’s degree or certification in accounting/management accounting is a plus.
• Minimum of five years of relevant accounting experience. Nonprofit and grant management experience preferred. Public accounting experience is a plus.
• Advanced understanding of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting required.
• Must be familiar with Microsoft Office programs, and proficient in Excel.
• Experience with NetSuite or other cloud-based accounting software highly preferred.
• Flexible, ability to multi-task, and meet routine deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team and remote environment.
• High level of attention to detail, self-motivated, team player with a demonstrated high level of effectiveness, efficiency, and accuracy.
• Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form with those who may not possess a financial background.
Apply at: https://villageenterprise.bamboohr.com/careers/75