|Organization Name||:||Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC)|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||25 May 2023, 06:48 am|
|Closing Date||:||19 Jun 2023, 12:00 am|
About CIVIC: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at www.civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is expanding its presence in Ukraine and is looking for highly-motivated professionals to join the Ukraine Country Program.
SENIOR OFFICER, PROTECTION
Work with Country Director, and CIVIC Ukraine Program team to ensure successful implementation of projects within the Ukraine portfolio. The incumbent will lead the community-based protection component of the program with a focus on establishing community protection groups (CPGs) in newly liberated areas and areas that are at risk of escalation, with the aim of supporting dialogue and coordination with local government, military administrations (Mas), local security and defense actors (SDAs), CSOs, volunteer groups, and broader local community groups. The position holder will work with affected communities to jointly identify and assess different protection risks and needs and support local efforts to address them. This will involve working with CIVIC Global Senior Protection Advisor to adapt CIVIC community-based protection (CBP) methodology to the Ukraine context. Senior Protection Officer will serve as the CIVIC’s interface to the military, communities, local government, and civil society as regards to all aspects related to the implementation of community-based protection component of the program.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Travel: 30% of time
Reporting to: Country Director, Ukraine
Staff reporting: Protection Officers
• Responsible for ensuring the implementation of community-based protection component of CIVIC programmatic activities in Ukraine, with focus on facilitating community-based protection groups and supporting local self-protection practices, including external protection advocacy to relevant decision-makers: strategic guidance, adherence with CIVIC global community-based protection practices, providing guidance to Protection Officers in their interactions with the communities.
• Develop and implement a robust CBP strategy to advance better protection of civilians affected by hostilities, and establish/strengthen effective communication and coordination between local government, military administrations, local security actors, CSOs, volunteer groups, and broader local community groups to coordinate on identifying protection needs and finding joint solutions to address them.
• Establish strong partnerships with communities, local governments, local and international NGO/CSOs/IOs within the protection area, identifying opportunities for cooperation and leveraging existing platforms. Represent CIVIC at inter-agency coordination platforms such as the UN Protection Cluster and its sub-clusters, humanitarian and civil-military coordination fora.
• Lead CIVIC program interventions within the international and national civilian protection community of practice, contribute to the coordination within the regional community of practice.
• Work with the Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy, to ensure recommendations on improving assistance to civilians are followed up at the local level and are implemented.
• Work with the Senior Military Advisor to ensure transversal approach to our POC work and harness synergies between CBP-based activities and CIVIC’s training and capacity building with Ukrainian armed/security forces.
• Develop plans, and prepare reports for regular and ad hoc planning and reporting products.
• Contribute to the development of advocacy products (briefings, reports, surveys) that capture and amplify the voices and perspectives of civilians in authentic and compelling ways to support CIVIC advocacy strategy.
• Work together with the Grant Manager to establish and maintain a “local initiatives fund” to support community-based protection initiatives.
• Contribute to the capacity-building activities to MAs and relevant SDAs and civilian actors on the design and implementation of effective civil-military coordination mechanisms.
• Under the guidance of the Country Director, conduct regular monitoring and project data collection for keeping the M&E plan updated. Support the Senior MEL Advisor in conducting evaluations and other MEL activities at various stages of the projects.
• Contribute to the development of communication strategies to disseminate advocacy products via meetings, public events, as well as social media, and other outreach channels.
• Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Ukraine.
• Provide guidance, set goals and workplans, supervise staff, and manage the workflow of the Protection Officers to ensure they deliver the expected results.
• Work with the Senior Officer, Safety and Security to keep abreast of the latest security situation and ensure CIVIC staff safe travels to the communities.
• Abide with all CIVIC security and operations policies and procedures; ensure Protection Officers also follow them.
• Advanced university degree in a social science, political science, international relations, law, or a related field.
• Solid knowledge of POC and IHL related matter, as well as prior experience in humanitarian protection and community engagement applying a CBP approach, dialogue facilitation and similar projects are mandatory.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience, including work in conflict zones.
• Experience in projects in the field of conflict and security and/or protection.
• Understanding of the conflict landscape in Ukraine and issues related to protection of civilians.
• Willingness and experience working with conflict-affected populations and security forces.
• Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities.
• Excellent writing and analytical skills
• Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member.
• Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments.
• Experience in representing organizations in sensitive environments, ability to maintain neutrality and impartiality in line with the organization’s mission.
• Excellent Ukrainian fluency mandatory.
• Very good English (spoken and written) mandatory
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only Ukrainian nationals are invited to apply. CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply early.
The vacancy does not have a closing date, and the applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Apply at: https://civilians.bamboohr.com/careers/169