Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 18 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm Print

Santiago/Xinhua: Chilean President Sebastian Pinera declared a 90-day state of catastrophe to step up the government's action to combat the COVID-19 epidemic that has so far infected 238 people.
At a press conference, Pinera said a series of restrictions will take effect starting at midnight, including a ban on mass gatherings to curb infections.
The military would be mobilized to support the public health sector and guarantee law and order, and a curfew to limit people's movement was under consideration, he said.
"This state of catastrophe allows for the valuable and necessary collaboration of the armed forces to better tackle this crisis," said Pinera.
The armed forces can serve as a "true sanitary force, working with all of the officials of our health system, who have worked tirelessly in recent weeks," said Pinera.
Economy Minister Lucas Palacios, meanwhile, announced "shopping centers will close" across the country as of Thursday to decrease person-to-person contact.
Supermarkets, pharmacies, banks and shops selling household supplies or construction materials will remain open, he said.
Chile has also closed its borders, suspended classes and recommended people shelter in place to avoid contracting or spreading the disease.
- Health workers call for cleaner air to curb pollution deaths
- Armed men raped children as young as one during Sudan civil war
- Over half of adults worldwide will be obese by 2050: Study
- WHO warns Breast cancer cases projected to rise by nearly 40 per cent by 2050
- Pakistan registers third polio case of 2025