Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 15 Feb 2018, 05:07 am Print
Johannesburg: Amid intense pressure from his party, South African President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday resigned from his office.
Zuma announced his decision In a televised statement, adding that he disagreed with his ANC party's decision of 'recalling' him.
"I have come to the decision to resign as the President with immediate effect," Zuma said.
"No life should be lost in my name and also the ANC should never be divided in my name," he said.
Zuma was directed by ANC to resign or face a vote of no confidence in the Parliament, which would have been an embarrassment for the senior politician, who in the past too have faced a similar test.
Zuma had been serving the office since 2009.
He is facing numerous allegations of corruption, which he has denied.
Thogh stepping down from his post, Zuma said he will continue to serve the people of South Africa.
He said, "As I leave I will continue to serve the people of South Africa as well as the ANC, the organisation I have served."
- Washington DC shooting fallout: USCIS indefinitely halts Afghan immigration pending security and vetting review
- Trump accepts Xi’s invitation for Beijing visit during telephone interaction: Talks cover trade, Ukraine, and Fentanyl
- Who is Alaa' Haddadeh? IDF claims eliminating Hamas commander in Gaza
- Top Hezbollah Commander Haytham Ali Tabatabai killed in Beirut airstrike — Who was he?
- Historic breakthrough: Trump, Saudi Crown Prince seal F-35, Nuclear, AI deals

