India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 08 Oct 2024, 08:02 am Print

In image videograb of US' Matthew Miller/ courtesy: His X page
The US government on Monday said those responsible for human rights violations in Bangladesh for the past few months should be held accountable.
US State Department Spokesperson Matthew Miller said during a press briefing in Washington DC: "We want to see human rights protected, and that ultimately those responsible for violations of the human rights of the Bangladeshi people over the past few months need to be held accountable."
When asked about the safety of Hindus and upcoming Durga Puja celebration in the country, Miller said: "We want to see the rights of minorities protected in Bangladesh."
Bangladesh witnessed major political turmoil in recent times when PM Sheikh Hasina-led government was toppled amid violent protests.
In the face of protest, Hasina escaped to India, leading to the downfall of the government that returned to power for another term earlier this year.
An interim government under the leadership of Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus is currently ruling the country.
The social media was buzzing with viral videos and local Bangladeshi newspapers showed several Hindu houses, temples and properties were allegedly attacked by radicals following the fall of the former government.
- Donald Trump-led US government to honour Bangladeshi women student protest leaders who led July uprising for 'bravery'
- Pakistan: Baloch activist Mahrang denied in-person family visit, claims her sister
- Uyghur rapper Yashar Shohret serving prison term in China over composing lyrics deemed to promote 'extremism'
- Insecurity worsens for stateless Rohingya amid slash in aid, says UNHCR’s Grandi
- US Department of State condemns any instance of violence, intolerance against minority communities in Bangladesh