Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 31 Jul 2023, 04:00 am Print
Islamic State A glimpse of the blast which rocked a political convention in Pakistan that left 46 people dead. Photo Courtesy: Twitter video grab
Pakistani police on Monday said an initial investigation revealed that the terrorist group Islamic State might be behind the suicide attack on a political gathering in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa which left 46 people dead.
According to local media reports, the blast left over 100 people hurt.
The blast occurred when a suicide bomber set off explosives at the rally on Sunday in the former tribal area which is located close to the Afghanistan border.
Emergency was declared in the hospitals of Bajaur and adjoining areas where most of the injured were taken, District Police Officer (DPO) Nazir Khan told Geo News.
The critically injured people were transported from Bajaur to hospitals in Peshawar by military helicopters.
"We are still investigating and gathering information on the Bajaur blast. The Initial probe shows that banned outfit Daesh was involved," the law enforcers told Geo News.
DPO Khan said three suspected people had been taken into custody.
Pakistan witnessed a surge in terror activities since last year when a ceasefire between the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Islamabad broke down.
- Eid-eve horror: Deadly shooting at San Diego Mosque leaves five, including 2 teen suspects, dead
- Explosion near UAE nuclear site after drone attack, no injuries
- Who is Al-Saadi? Iraqi man held in US for allegedly supporting Iranian terror groups
- Foiled before disaster? Bangladesh police arrest former soldier over Neo-JMB links
- Who is Izz al-Din al-Haddad? Israel says it eliminated Hamas’s final October 7 architect in Gaza strike

