Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 30 Jun 2024, 03:20 am Print
Nigeria Photo Courtesy: Unsplash
At least 18 people died and 30 others were injured after several deadly blasts rocked Nigeria's northeastern Borno state on Saturday.
One of the suspected bombing occurred in a wedding ceremony that reportedly left six people dead.
The state's emergency management agency said the suspected suicide bombers attacked a wedding, funeral and hospital in the town of Gwoza, reported BBC.
Borno state has been witnessing insurgency activities of Boko Haram terror group for the past 15 years.
However, the group has not claimed responsibility for the blasts so far.
The group gained international attention in 2014 when its members abducted 270 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok.
Emir of Gwoza local government area of Borno State, Alhaji Mohammed Shehu Timta, told Sunday Vanguard: "The entire Gwoza council area is in mourning following multiple suicide attacks on our community."
“The first suicide attack was masterminded by an unidentified woman who sneaked with two children into a wedding reception of a popular young man in Gwoza. She detonated her Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) killing herself and many people," Timta said.
“A few minutes after, another suicide bomber sneaked into a burial ceremony nearby and detonated Improvised Explosive Devices, and as am talking to you now, the third explosion just occurred a few minutes ago with more casualties," the official said.
- Bangladesh: 700-kg pink buffalo nicknamed ‘Donald Trump’ becomes Eid market’s biggest attraction
- Chaos at 35,000 feet: Qantas passenger bites flight attendant, plane diverted
- Trump says ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal killed in joint US-Nigeria counterterrorism strike
- Operation Epic Fury 2.0? Trump plans big strikes on Iran after high-stakes China talks
- From 'Punjabi Devils' to prison: Indian-origin gang founder jailed in US

