Photo Courtesy: Unsplash
The Chinese Embassy in Sweden has warned Gothenburg City Council after it decided to stitch sister city agreements with Taiwan, media reports said.
Members of two parties at the council in Sweden’s second-largest city submitted a motion to expand its foreign relations, as per CNA as quoted by Taiwan News.
After the stance caught the attention of Beijing, the Chinese Embassy sent an e-mail to the Gothenburg City Council and warned it should adhere to the One China principle.
The politicians should handle the “Taiwan issue” correctly, as it was at the very core of China’s interests, the embassy said as quoted by Taiwan News.
While Gothenburg and Shanghai were sister cities, there were rising suspicions about national security threats from China’s investments. Several Swedish cities have ended sister relations with Chinese cities, but Gothenburg has economic factors to consider, the news portal reported.
Taiwan’s envoy to Sweden, Klement Gu, called on the mayor of Gothenburg to visit Taiwan and witness the country’s economy, culture, and education.
- Chinese Coast Guard patrols in waters around Taiwan-controlled Kinmen Islands: Reports
- US Air Force member hospitalised in critical condition after he sets himself on fire in front of Israeli Embassy in Washington DC
- US Senator warns of possible 'cyber attack' amid cellular outage
- UK,US, alliance member countries strike Houthi targets in Yemen
- Russian President Vladimir Putin's critic Alexei Navalny's body handed over to his family