Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 30 Jun 2023, 03:45 am Print
Pentagon Image: Twitter video grab
A top Pentagon official on Thursday said the Chinese surveillance balloon, which had traversed the United States earlier this year before it was shot down, did not collect intelligence while flying over the nation.
Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder told the media: "The balloon and -- and the capabilities that it has, as you heard at the time, we were aware that it had intelligence collection capabilities, but it was our -- it's -- and it has been our assessment now that it did not collect while it was transiting the United States or over-flying the United States."
"We also took steps -- steps to mitigate the potential collection efforts of that balloon," he said.
The balloon was taken down by an American fighter jet off the coast of South Carolina on Feb 4.
The incident had tensed the already inflamed relationship between the US and China.
The US ultimately linked the balloon to an extensive surveillance program run by the Chinese military, and US President Joe Biden has since alleged the device was carrying “two boxcars full of spy equipment", reports CNN.
- Bangladesh: 700-kg pink buffalo nicknamed ‘Donald Trump’ becomes Eid market’s biggest attraction
- Chaos at 35,000 feet: Qantas passenger bites flight attendant, plane diverted
- Trump says ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal killed in joint US-Nigeria counterterrorism strike
- Operation Epic Fury 2.0? Trump plans big strikes on Iran after high-stakes China talks
- From 'Punjabi Devils' to prison: Indian-origin gang founder jailed in US

