Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 26 Jan 2023, 09:20 pm Print
Wallpaper Cave/Wallpaper Flare
Washington: The United States killed a key Islamic State operative during a nighttime assault in northern Somalia, a senior administration official said.
“Last night, on orders from the president [Joe Biden], the US military conducted an assault operation in northern Somalia that resulted in the death of Bilal al-Sudani, a key operative and facilitator for ISIS’ global network, as well as a number of other ISIS operatives,” the senior administration official said on Thursday.
The operation resulted in neither US nor civilian casualties, the official said.
In addition to al-Sudani, the operation killed 10 other IS associates as well, the official said.
US forces were prepared to capture al-Sudani as part of the operation, but the assault ultimately resulted in his death, the official added.
(With UNI inputs)
- Afghanistan: Chamber of Agriculture and Livestock seeks UN's support for wheat storage facilities
- Don’t give up on Haiti, plead senior UN aid officials
- Black Sea Grain Initiative extended on deadline day
- IMF to approve USD 2.9-bln bailout package for Sri Lanka: Central bank governor
- Missile launched by Pyongyang falls outside of Japan’s exclusive zone: Reports