Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 01 Jan 2023, 05:04 am Print

Image: UNI
Pyongyang: North Korea commenced the new year by launching one short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) into the East Sea on Sunday, media reports said on Sunday.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected the launch from the Ryongsong area in Pyongyang at 2:50 a.m., adding the missile flew some 400 kilometers before splashing into the sea, reports Yonhap news agency.
It appears to be another response to Seoul's test launch of a homegrown solid-propellant space rocket on Friday, according to North Korea observers.
Earlier in the day, the Japanese Defense Ministry said that North Korea test-fired three short-range ballistic missiles toward the Sea of Japan. The missiles flew over a distance of 350 kilometers (217 miles), reaching a maximum altitude of 100 kilometers (62 miles). All of the missiles landed outside of Japan's exclusive economic zone, reports UNI.
The military is currently analyzing the range, altitude and speed of the missile.
- Israeli forces eliminate key Hamas figure behind psychological terror
- China imposes 34 percent additional tariffs on all imported US products from April 10
- UN says fresh intensification of hostilities in Gaza left 280,000 people displaced
- IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva warns US tariffs pose a 'significant risk' to global outlook
- Liberation Day: US imposes 37 percent tariff on imports from Bangladesh