Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 22 Nov 2022, 11:11 am Print
-1669140707.jpg)
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Gwadar: Tens of thousands of protesters, including women and children, blocked an expressway leading to Gwadar port on Sunday as they claimed that the government has failed to meet a Nov 20 deadline to implement their demands.
The rally participants — fishermen, students and labourers led by Gwadar Haq Do Tehreek’s leader Maulana Hidayatur Rehman — marched towards Gwadar port and raised slogans against the government, reports Dawn News.
Among the movement’s demands are stopping illegal fishing by trawlers in Balochistan’s maritime boundaries, recovery of missing persons, maximum concessions in border trade with Iran, end to narcotics and other Gwadar-related issues, the newspaper reported.
This fresh series of sit-ins and protests, which began on Oct 27, entered 25th day on Sunday.
Speaking at the rally, Maulana Rehman and other speakers strongly condemned the federal and provincial governments for not implementing the agreement reached with the movement leaders last year.
“The struggle of Haq Do movement will continue until the problems are solved,” Maulana Rehman said on Twitter as quoted by Dawn News. “Today, once again the people of Gwadar have given a clear message to the ruling classes. If attention is not given, the public will have no choice but to close the port.”
- Liberation Day: US imposes 37 percent tariff on imports from Bangladesh
- New releases from OpenAI to be delayed, says Sam Altman on X amid Ghibli viral trend
- China carries out major war games around Taiwan, escalates tension in region
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at earthquake aid convoy, no causalty
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at Chinese earthquake aid convoy after it fails to stop