Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 06 May 2022, 09:54 pm Print
Havana Hotel Explosion Twitter video grab
Havana: The death toll from a powerful explosion ripping a luxury hotel in downtown Havana climbed to 18, with more than 50 injured, official sources reported.
Julio Guerra, head of the Cuban Health Ministry's hospital services, confirmed the figure during a press conference.
Previous report said at least eight people have died and some 30 are hospitalized.
"The provincial director of health, Emilio Delgado Iznaga, confirms that the health system in Havana is fully active," the Cuban Presidential Office said in a tweet earlier on Friday, adding that "several people are offering blood donations."
A gas leak is thought to be the cause of the explosion at Hotel Saratoga, on Friday morning, according to the Cuban Presidential Office.
The five-star hotel, located near the National Capitol building, was preparing to reopen in the next few days as part of the revival of tourism industry on the island.
According to social media reports shared by the state media Cubadebate, the explosion apparently occurred while the facility was carrying out operations with liquefied gas.
After the explosion, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel went to the scene of the incident and to a local hospital in Havana, where several of the injured were being cared for, according to images published by the Cuban Presidential Office on its Twitter account.
(With UNI/Xinhua inputs)
- Chaos at 35,000 feet: Qantas passenger bites flight attendant, plane diverted
- Trump says ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal killed in joint US-Nigeria counterterrorism strike
- Operation Epic Fury 2.0? Trump plans big strikes on Iran after high-stakes China talks
- From 'Punjabi Devils' to prison: Indian-origin gang founder jailed in US
- Indian cargo vessel 'Haji Ali' sinks off Oman after suspected drone attack

