Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 23 Oct 2021, 03:15 am Print

File photo of US MQ-9 Reaper UAV by United States Air Force via Wikimedia Creative Commons
Florida, US (JEN): The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said it has killed a senior al-Qaeda leader in a Predator drone strike in northwest Syria.
The CENTCOM said in a statement that it had carried out an airstrike, using an MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), in the vicinity of Suluk in northwestern Syria near its border with Turkey.
The US department of defence claimed that senior al-Qaeda leader Abdul Hamid al-Matar had been eliminated in the airstrike while there was no report of any civilian casualty.
A drone carried out an assassination of a person in Suluk town northern #Raqqa, National Army-controlled town.
— Hussam Hammoud (@HussamHamoud) October 22, 2021
Primary information reported that the assassinated person was one of ex-Jabhat AlNusra leaders in the area in 2013. pic.twitter.com/T8DKnMaVgR
"The removal of this al-Qaeda senior leader will disrupt the terrorist organization’s ability to further plot and carry out global attacks threatening US citizens, our partners, and innocent civilians," the CENTCOM statement read.
"The US will continue to target members of al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations who intend to harm the US homeland," it added.
- Liberation Day: US imposes 37 percent tariff on imports from Bangladesh
- New releases from OpenAI to be delayed, says Sam Altman on X amid Ghibli viral trend
- China carries out major war games around Taiwan, escalates tension in region
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at earthquake aid convoy, no causalty
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at Chinese earthquake aid convoy after it fails to stop