Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 06 Jun 2021, 09:48 pm Print
Nigerian Troops Image credit: Pixabay
Abuja/Xinhua: Five gunmen were killed on Sunday as Nigerian troops and police special forces thwarted an attack on a police station in the southern state of Imo, said a spokesperson for the army.
The Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), an outlawed group, was suspected of carrying out the attack, the spokesperson, Mohammed Yerima, said in a statement.
One of the killed, identified as Joseph Nnachi, a senior member of the IPOB, had been "organizing attacks against security agencies and government establishments" in the country's troubled southern region, according to Yerima.
Another member of the IPOB was arrested, Yerima said, adding that "he has been assisting security forces with useful information."
The southern part of Nigeria has seen a series of gunmen attacks on security formations like police stations and prisons in recent months.
- Bangladesh: 700-kg pink buffalo nicknamed ‘Donald Trump’ becomes Eid market’s biggest attraction
- Chaos at 35,000 feet: Qantas passenger bites flight attendant, plane diverted
- Trump says ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal killed in joint US-Nigeria counterterrorism strike
- Operation Epic Fury 2.0? Trump plans big strikes on Iran after high-stakes China talks
- From 'Punjabi Devils' to prison: Indian-origin gang founder jailed in US

