By South Asia Monitor/IBNS | @justearthnews | 09 May 2021, 09:26 am Print
-1620574003.jpg)
Image Credit: Pixabay
Authorities in the Maldives say they have arrested a key suspect who is believed to have detonated the IED that targeted the Maldives’ former president Mohammed Nasheed on Thursday, reported Raajje TV.
The arrest came after police released the photograph of the suspect caught on a CCTV camera, and urged the public to help authorities identify the suspect.
This is the third arrest in the case. Two suspects had been arrested earlier. Nasheed, who is currently the speaker of the parliament, had undergone multiple lifesaving surgeries following the attack, and is now said to be stable.
ADK hospital that treated him said on Saturday he was out of ICU now.
The IED, strapped to a motorcycle parked near Nasheed’s house, went off as Nasheed approached his car. The government is taking assistance Australian Federal Police to investigate the incident.
A report in Wion said that Indian officials remained in constant touch with the Maldivian soon after the incident. Nasheed, a staunch pro-Indian leader in the archipelago, played a crucial role in dislodging Yameen’s pro-China government from power in the 2018 elections.
The archipelago's parliament’s security service committee has initiated an inquiry into the breach of security of speaker Nasheed.
“The committee made the decision to hold an inquiry into how the security of Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed – the head of one of the three powers of the State – was breached, as he was being provided security and protection by the security services,” the parliament released a statement on Sunday.
- New releases from OpenAI to be delayed, says Sam Altman on X amid Ghibli viral trend
- China carries out major war games around Taiwan, escalates tension in region
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at earthquake aid convoy, no causalty
- Myanmar: Military Junata 'fires' shots at Chinese earthquake aid convoy after it fails to stop
- Elon Musk announces scammer who stole personal information of 400K Americans to be arrested