Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 19 May 2018, 07:42 am Print
Havana: A Boeing 737 airliner crashed close to Jose Marti International Airport in Cuban city of Havana, killing more than 100 people on Saturday, state media report said.
Cuban Communist Party newspaper Granma reported that three people survived the crash.
They have been rescued and sent to hospital for treatment.
"Three passengers have survived the accident. They are hospitalized in critical condition.Cuban President Miguel Mario Díaz-Canel Bermúdez is onsite, along with Havana authorities. Health Minister Roberto Morales, a Council of State vice president, is at José Martí International Airport," reported Granma.
The flight was travelling from Havana to Holguin.
The Boeing 737-201 took off at 16:08 GMT before the mishap occurred.
"The plane was carrying 110 passengers and crew, according to the Mexican firm from which the plane was leased," reported BBC.
"The plane had been leased to state airline Cubana de Aviación by the Mexican company Aerolineas Damojh," reported the British media outlet.
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel, who visited the crash site, described the mishap as 'unfortunate'.
Image: Screengrab from YouTube
- Chaos at 35,000 feet: Qantas passenger bites flight attendant, plane diverted
- Trump says ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal killed in joint US-Nigeria counterterrorism strike
- Operation Epic Fury 2.0? Trump plans big strikes on Iran after high-stakes China talks
- From 'Punjabi Devils' to prison: Indian-origin gang founder jailed in US
- Indian cargo vessel 'Haji Ali' sinks off Oman after suspected drone attack

