|People in Need Slovakia
|Uzhhorod/ Kiev/ Lviv, Ukraine
|01 Dec 2023, 05:09 am
|21 Dec 2023, 12:00 am
Duty Station: Uzhhorod/Kiev/Lviv with frequent in-country travels
Job terms: full-time contract (40 hours/week)
Contract duration: 12 months with 3 months of probation period, possibility of extension after 12 months upon available funding, This is a consultancy contract and we are not able to process work permit for applicants outside of Europe.
Starting date: ASAP
Reporting lines: Country Director and technical reporting to Global Head of Programmes
Supervision of: Technical Leads: Protection Lead (to be recruited), Shelter Lead, Livelihoods Lead (to be recruited/promoted), Area Manager for Zakarpatska Oblast
About PIN SK:
People in Need (PIN) Slovakia is a Slovak non-profit organization, providing direct support to those who suffer the consequences of war, to victims of natural disasters, or those living in poverty on the margins of society. PIN SK was founded 1999 by a group of journalists moved by their experience of the devastating consequences of the conflict in Kosovo on civilians and has since then been providing humanitarian and development assistance worldwide. Currently, PIN Slovakia is one of the major humanitarian actors in Slovakia responding the Ukraine crisis both in Slovakia and across border in Ukraine.
For more information, please refer to: https://clovekvohrozeni.sk/people-in-need-slovakia/
General context in Ukraine:
PIN SK has been present in Ukraine since the tragic events in Kiev’s Maidan in February 2014 when PIN SK contributed to medical efforts and evacuation of civilians from combat zones. PIN SK continued project-based response in Ukraine through Shelter, WASH, Protection and MHPSS programming until February 24th, 2022 when the full-scale war started. PIN SK, from the first days, helped people fleeing the war - first at the borders and gradually inside Ukraine. Since the beginning of the invasion, PIN SK has provided the assistance worth more than €7,000,000 and helped more than 200,000 people in Ukraine and Slovakia.
Currently PIN SK team in Ukraine consists of around 70 staff, operating in Zakarpatska Oblast providing Protection, Shelter and MHPSS assistance to internally displaced persons (IDPs) and their host communities.
Purpose of the position
Support the Country Director in the development, definition and management of the mission programme in accordance with PIN SK strategies, plans and policies. Lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals in collaboration with the Global Head of Programmes and Country Director with inclusion of the respective Technical Leads. Supervise, coordinate and provide quality support to Technical Leads and Project Managers in order to develop and implement the programme in Ukraine.
At the beginning the main objective for this position will be an external engagement and institutional fundraising to develop programmes in Western Ukraine with possible engagements in priority locations beyond Western Ukraine in case of emergencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. With support of Global Head of Programmes, programme strategy development in Ukraine and its periodical review;
2. Overall programmatic supervision of currently implemented programmes in all the (critical) phases of project cycle management;
3. Strategic planning, programme development and proposal writing including incorporating innovations, research and good practices for Ukraine;
4. Participates Management Team meetings and contributes to decision making and ensures that these are in line with programmatic strategies for Ukraine;
5. Building of synergy among the programmes, ensures cooperation between programmatic teams;
6. Striving for quality of programmes including mainstreaming accountability systems and cross-cutting issues like gender, social inclusion, climate change, environment and good governance;
7. Ensuring financial side of programming is understood and followed by the project teams together with financial department;
8. Ensure timely and high-quality reporting is done by all programmes towards their donors.
People Management and internal communication
1. Direct supervision of Technical Leads, who are further managing respective project / programme teams;
2. To contribute to the recruitment of key positions within programme team;
3. Manage, coordinate, and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed;
4. Oversee and support capacity building for programme staff on technical issues and program cycle management.
1. To develop, disseminate, and implement the programme strategy in Ukraine with technical support of Global Head of Programmes and Country Director;
2. To lead on the development of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between programme and support teams, including field teams, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with relevant stakeholders;
3. Contributes to the development of a fundraising strategy in line with programme strategy;
4. Establishes strong and efficient partnerships in Ukraine that are in line with the programme strategy;
5. Designs assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations.
Quality and accountability of the programmes
1. Oversees and supports continuous improvement of programme quality standards;
2. In coordination with MEAL team, ensures that PIN SK implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) across all projects in Ukraine, including that learning is captured, capitalized, and used in programme design and implementation;
3. In coordination with all other departments ensure the smooth running of operations and support the implementation of the programme;
4. Provides guidance and support the Project Managers in project management and project cycle, work planning, activities, budget management and all operational and management aspects. Supports in planning and monitoring the implementation of activities, budget follow up and achievement of results;
5. Monitors the level of progress achieved by each project. Supervises, plan, monitor, evaluate and ensure the quality of work and the achievement of high standards in terms of design, implementation and evaluation;
6. Leads the kick-off planning and final review meetings for each project;
7. Guarantees the application and compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the Country Director and Global Head of Programmes;
8. Ensures that contractual obligations and reporting deadlines are known and met by all departments;
9. With the support of the Finance Department and Country Director supervises the management of budgets in line with donors and PIN SK guidelines, supporting budget and programme revisions when needed;
10. Organises regular programme meetings;
11. Ensures high-quality donors’ reporting;
12. Guarantees the timely submissions to HQ and donors.
External relations and representation
1. Together with the Country Director ensures adequate bilateral representation of PIN SK with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners regarding programme in Ukraine;
2. In coordination with the Country Director establishes and maintains collaborative relations with relevant donors, project stakeholders, local partners and other organisations working in the area/Ukraine. Develops strategic partnerships with local organizations and stakeholders when possible
3. Ensures representation and participation in coordination meetings and key clusters as relevant.
Performs any other tasks as required.
The successful candidate:
1. Has a higher education (master) suitable for the position;
2. Has 5 years of experience in humanitarian aid settings, preferable 2 years of experience on the similar position;
3. Has previous experience in actively hostile environments is an asset;
4. Has strong management and leadership skills;
5. Has experience working with institutional donors and in consortia;
6. Has knowledge in financial management;
7. Has ability to work under pressure;
8. Is fluent in written and spoken English (C1), knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian is an asset;
9. Has strong organizational skills;
10. Has strong negotiation skills and decision-making skills;
11. Is diplomatic and has interpersonal and good communication skills;
12. Understands of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices.
People in Need Slovakia offers:
1. Salary from 2 100 EUR gross/month based on your experience and PIN’s salary scale (for full time);
2. Per diems of 37 EUR for in country presence/per day;
3. Housing in guesthouse (Uzhhorod) covered by PIN Slovakia, if not - housing allowance of 200 EUR/month or hotel secured;
4. Travel health insurance for Ukraine;
5. Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
6. 30 days of paid leave annually; additional 3 sick days;
7. Reimbursement of travel expenses for in-country travels;
8. Active participation in PIN SK growth and development as one of the biggest Slovakian humanitarian responders in Ukraine.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending the CV and short motivation latter to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email "Head of Programmes UA".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for first interview.
Please note: due to the urgency to fill the post, the recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and PIN SK reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.
This is a consultancy contract and we are not able to process work permit for applicants outside of Europe.
Please note that PIN SK does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and committed to promoting the welfare of children and adults with whom. People in Need involves.
People in Need expects all staff to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need code of conduct and key policies.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Job Email id: recruitment(at)peopleinneed.sk