|Organization Name||:||Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS)|
|Location||:||Tunisia, Home based|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
|Start Date||:||20 Jan 2023, 04:47 am|
|Closing Date||:||15 Feb 2023, 12:00 am|
Program Associate – Human Rights Dissemination Unit
Organization: Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS)
Location: To be determined with the successful candidate (either from CIHRS’ office in Tunis or as a work from home position)
Position: Human Rights Dissemination Unit Program Associate
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Job type: Full-time
Contract Duration: One year with possibility of extension
Salary: Commensurate with experience, 20 days of paid vacation per year, sick leave allowance according to CIHRS internal policies.
About the Organisation
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) was established in 1993 as a regional NGO dedicated to the promotion and protection of human rights. Its mission is to strengthen the human rights movement within the Arab region. For almost 30 years, CIHRS has played a unique and central role in identifying and responding to the challenges and needs of this movement and helping to shape its development. CIHRS enjoys consultative status with the United Nations ECOSOC and observer status with the African Commission for Human and Peoples’ Rights. CIHRS has received numerous awards for its work, including the French Republic Award for Human Rights in December 2007, and an award from the Library of Alexandria (2010).
About the Role
The Dissemination Unit Program Associate is responsible for implementing and following up on the implementation of three online and in-person vehicles through which CIHRS promotes and disseminates analyses of pressing human rights crises in the Arab region. These include:
• Rowaq Arabi: a peer reviewed online research journal issued by CIHRS since 1996. It is a platform for academic researchers and rights advocates that offers studies, in-depth discussions, and analyses of human rights policies and developments in the Arab region, utilising interdisciplinary approaches drawn from the social sciences, humanities, and law. The Associate will support the Editor of Rowaq Arabi in following up with the production cycle of the journal.
• Salon Ibn Rushd: a public online webinar series inviting guest speakers to debate topics aligned to regional crises and political developments in the Arab region. The Salon is a monthly webinar bringing together notable and respected scholars, activists, journalists, politicians and other intellectual leaders from the region and around the world for thematic discussions and debate on contemporary human rights issues facing the Arab region or specific countries in the region. The Associate will support the Program Director in implementing this webinar.
• Regional Forum for the Human Rights Movement in the Arab region: an in-person two-day event organized in various locations since 1999. CIHRS has held 26 Forums bringing together leading human rights activists, think tank representatives, academics, politicians, decision makers and journalists coming mostly from Arab states, the United States, and Europe. The Forum facilitates in-depth discussions on the main challenges that are facing the human rights movement in the region, the common struggle and the means to overcome them. The Associate will support the Regional Forum Officer with the administrative and logistical tasks pertaining to the implementation of the Forum.
With a demonstrable interest in human rights as they pertain to the Arab region, the Associate is expected to devote time towards researching and understanding human rights conditions in the Arab region and studying the main trends and issues that need to be addressed in the journal, webinar, and forum. The Associate will work with a larger team of programs and CIHRS staff located in multiple countries.
• Management of editorial duties, which include processing article submissions, following up with authors, copy editors, peer reviewers, translators, and online publication
• Assist in preparing and disseminating of calls for papers
• Manage media and social media outreach of the journal
• Follow up with CIHRS’ Media Department regarding the ongoing website development and the digitalisation process of Rowaq Arabi’s print archive
• Perform other duties to support Rowaq Arabi as required.
Salon Ibn Rushd
• Research and assess thematic topics for the webinar: Prioritize which webinar projects to produce, or individually formulate webinar concepts based on key political dates in the region, human rights celebration dates, etc.
• Coordinate social media updates related to the webinar including Zoom, YouTube and Facebook broadcasting with CIHRS’ Media Department
• Draft concept notes for webinars
• Propose and invite speakers to webinars
• Draft press releases about the webinars
• Prepare media coverage reports on the webinars, monitor audience numbers
• Attend webinars
• Perform other duties to support the Salon as required.
Regional Forum for the Human Rights Movement in the Arab Region
• Prepare invitation letters for participants
• Follow up with authors of background papers, ensuring their translation and editing process meets CIHRS standards
• Follow up on logistical arrangements with participants
• Attend the two-day event
• Perform other duties to support the Forum as required.
About the candidate
• Graduate degree in a relevant social sciences or humanities field, post-graduate master’s degree preferred. Time in a relevant role will also be taken into consideration in lieu of a post-graduate degree.
• Languages: excellent written and spoken command of both Arabic and English.
The successful candidate will:
• Demonstrate a commitment to universal human rights
• Have a keen interest in academic debate on human rights, justice, accountability, law, or social sciences
• Have a keen interest in editorial publishing
• Have excellent professional communication skills and a capacity to build and maintain relationships with authors, panellists, participants, etc.
• Have excellent organizational skills
• Be able to work both as part of a team and to be individually motivated
• Be able to work remotely and manage own schedule
• Thrive in a multicultural environment
• Show a willingness to take on new and challenging tasks and goals.
• Preferably, though not a condition to apply for the position, be the main author of at least one research article published in a peer-reviewed journal on a relevant theme.
Commitment to equality
CIHRS is committed to ensuring equality and non-discrimination on grounds of sex, race, religion or belief in its hiring process. CIHRS is a multicultural environment that celebrates diversity. All employees are expected to promote and act in a manner that ensures a non-discriminatory, open and sensitive approach to others from different backgrounds and cultures.
How to apply
All applicants must submit the following documents by the midnight (CET) of Sunday the 15th of February 2023:
• Updated CV including details of language skills
• Cover letter; responding to the above criteria
• Publication sample, if available
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject title ‘Dissemination Unit Program Associate’.
Only applicants who have been shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Job Email id: recruitments(at)cihrs.org