Just Earth News
Ambassador Churkin spent more than 40 years at the Russian Diplomatic Service, headed the Russian Mission to the UN for more than a decade and would have turned 65 , 21 February.
In a statement , members of the Security Council also expressed their deep condolences to the family of the Ambassador, the Government and the Russian people.
Also , the General Assembly held a moment of silence honouring the Ambassador's memory.
During a meeting of the Assembly on the reform of the world body, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative, Petr Iliichev, informed those present about Churkin's sudden passing.
- UN mourns passing of population agency chief Babatunde Osotimehin, 'a champion of health for all'
- UN will work with Colombian Government and FARC-EP on extended weapons hand-in deadline
- On day against homophobia, UN officials urge respect for sexual and gender diversity
- Chernobyl 31 years on: International cooperation still needed to address consequences, says UN
- Status of declaration on indigenous peoples' rights in spotlight as UN forum opens in New York