Just Earth News 21 Feb 2017
Ambassador Churkin spent more than 40 years at the Russian Diplomatic Service, headed the Russian Mission to the UN for more than a decade and would have turned 65 , 21 February.
In a statement , members of the Security Council also expressed their deep condolences to the family of the Ambassador, the Government and the Russian people.
Also , the General Assembly held a moment of silence honouring the Ambassador's memory.
During a meeting of the Assembly on the reform of the world body, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative, Petr Iliichev, informed those present about Churkin's sudden passing.
- Global unemployment passes 200 million in 2017, UN labour agency reports
- World needs to move beyond ‘conceptual debate’ and improve protection from atrocities, urges Guterres
- UN chief welcomes release of arrested leaders in Cameroon
- UN labour agency launches global panel to address rapid transformations in the world of work
- 'Civilians are Not a Target,' says UN chief on World Humanitarian Day