Just Earth News 21 Feb 2017
Ambassador Churkin spent more than 40 years at the Russian Diplomatic Service, headed the Russian Mission to the UN for more than a decade and would have turned 65 , 21 February.
In a statement , members of the Security Council also expressed their deep condolences to the family of the Ambassador, the Government and the Russian people.
Also , the General Assembly held a moment of silence honouring the Ambassador's memory.
During a meeting of the Assembly on the reform of the world body, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative, Petr Iliichev, informed those present about Churkin's sudden passing.
- Afghanistan: Roadside bomb blast kills 5
- DR Congo: Hunger crisis, scarce funds could push Kasais to brink of catastrophe, UN agency warns
- Four billion people have no social security protection - UN labour agency
- Central African Republic’s message to UN: ‘The only thing we want is peace’
- Road accidents in Africa among deadliest worldwide, UN official says, urging more action