Dhaka: A rape suspect has been killed during an alleged shootout with police in Mymensingh’s Bhaluka upazila of Bangladesh, media reports said on Tuesday.
The incident took place at Hatiber village of Uthura in the early hours of Tuesday, said Bhaluka Model Police Station OC Md Myne Uddin, bdnews24 reported.
The deceased person was identified as Saiful Islam.
He has been an accused in a case started in June over the rape of a schoolgirl.
A police team from Bhaluka Model Police Station arrived at Hatiber village after receiving news about ‘a group of robbers’ occupying an area beside the road, OC Myne Uddin told bdnews24.
“When police reached the spot, the robbers opened fire on them forcing police to retaliate. At one point, Saiful got hit and his associates fled the area," e told the newsportal.
The body of the deceased person was taken to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital where the doctor declared him dead.
- Syria war: Executions condemned as violence continues ‘on both sides’ of border with Turkey
- US Military leaves bases northwest of Manbij toward Syria's border with Iraq - Ministry
- Syrian army enters key Kurdish bastion of Manbij city
- Stop the waste: UN food agencies call for action to reduce global hunger
- Turkish airstrike on convoy in north Syria kills 11, injures 74 - Reports