Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 11 Jul 2018
Kabul: At least 10 people were killed and an equal number of people injured as unknown gunmen stormed the education department building in Afghanistan's Nangarhar province on Wednesday morning.
Many had been taken hostage in the Wednesday morning attack.
According to local officials, the situation is presently under control
The incident took place at PD 5 of Jalalabad city, the provincial capital, at around 9:30 am, local Tolo News quoted officials as saying.
According to provincial governor's spokesperson Attaullah Khoghyani, neither the number of assailants, nor the number of hostages, have been ascertained.
However, local witnesses said that around 50 people were trapped inside the building.
Asif Shinwari, a spokesman for the Nangarhar education directorate, said that a security guard was gunned down by the gunmen.
The area has since been cordoned off.
No group has claimed the attack so far.
Image: Google Maps
- EU sanctions Maldivian government officials; Key MEP says 'significant step'
- USA: 11 dead as duck boat capsizes in Missouri lake
- Afghanistan: At least 10 civilians killed during Kunduz operation, says defence ministry
- UK Police likely to have identified Skripal attackers: Reports
- Maldives resort employees on warpath with Election Commission over attempt to deny them voting rights