Top pick: Global panic warning? WHO chief demands immediate Ebola action plan

What is Russia’s ‘Oreshnik’? Deadly new missile used in devastating Ukraine attack

Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 24 May 2026

What is Russia’s ‘Oreshnik’? Deadly new missile used in devastating Ukraine attack

Russia launched missile and drone attacks on Ukraine. Photo: Volodymyr Zelenskyy/X

Russia launched one of its largest aerial assaults on Ukraine since the war began, striking Kyiv and several other cities overnight with a barrage of missiles and drones, including its new “Oreshnik” hypersonic ballistic missile, according to Ukrainian officials and media reports.

The bombardment reportedly killed at least two people and injured several others, as explosions rocked multiple regions across the country.

Unverified footage circulating widely on social media appeared to show a missile striking central Kyiv, followed by a massive flash that briefly lit up the night sky.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia launched around 90 missiles of various types, many of them ballistic, along with nearly 600 drones.

In a post on X, Zelenskyy said: "Unfortunately, not all of the ballistic missiles were intercepted — the largest number of hits was in Kyiv. Kyiv was the primary target of this Russian attack."

He said the strikes damaged schools, residential buildings, and local markets, severely disrupting normal life in the capital.

Zelenskyy further claimed that Russia targeted the city of Bila Tserkva using the Oreshnik missile.

"We are doing everything possible to achieve peace and protect people. It is important that Ukraine is not alone. Decisions are needed — from the United States, from Europe, and others — to make that old ‘Oreshnik’ in Moscow finally utter the word ‘peace’," he said.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha described the attack as one of the largest acts of “terror” against Kyiv since the conflict escalated.

"Overnight, Russia carried out one of the largest terrorist attacks on Kyiv with around 600 drones, dozens of ballistic, air-ballistic, and cruise missiles, and a dummy IRBM," Sybiha wrote on X.

He added that the regions of Cherkasy, Kharkiv, Kropyvnytskyi, Odesa, Poltava, Sumy, and Zhytomyr were also targeted.

International condemnation

French President Emmanuel Macron condemned the strikes, saying: "Russian strikes continue to target civilian objectives in Ukraine, as they did again last night."

He added: "France condemns this attack and the use of the Oreshnik ballistic missile, which signals a dangerous escalation and underlines the deadlock of Russia’s war of aggression."

President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, said: "Russia’s massive attack on Ukraine last night shows the Kremlin’s brutality and disregard for both human life and peace negotiations."

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz also condemned the assault.

"On the night leading into Pentecost Sunday, Russia massively attacked civilian targets in Ukraine. Once again, the Oreshnik missile system was deployed. The Federal Government sharply condemns this reckless escalation. Germany continues to stand firmly at Ukraine’s side," he posted on X.

What is the Oreshnik missile?

The Oreshnik missile is a Russian road-mobile intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) equipped with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) capability, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies’s Missile Threat Project.

The system is believed to be a modified version of the RS-26 Rubezh. Analysts say Russia previously deployed it against Ukraine in 2024 and again in 2026, marking a new phase in Moscow’s evolving missile strategy.