Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 05 Oct 2017
The army said that they killed at least 196 IS loyalists and recaptured 98 villages.
With the latest recapture, only one area in Iraq remains under the IS.
The leader of the operation, Lieutenant General Abdel Amir Yarallah, said on Thursday, that the troops "liberated the whole of the centre of Hawija and are continuing their advance."
The forces also captured the Rashad air base, south of the city, which was used as a training ground by the militants.
According to United Nations data, at least 78,000 civilians are still trapped in Hawija.
The IS had captured the city in 2014, when the group proclaimed a caliphate under the leadership of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
The operation to recapture the city began two weeks ago, resulting in the exodus of about 12,500 people.
Video: Al Jazeera English/YouTube
- Nepal: Over 20 injured in road mishap
- Italy bridge collapse: Death toll rises to 37; rescue operations still on
- Afghanistan: Six girls, including four from a family, killed in rocket explosion in Laghman
- Over 1000 minors abused by at least 300 clergymen in the last seven decades, says Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- Italy bridge collapse: At least 26 killed; rescuers looking for survivors in Genoa