Dhaka: Unknown attackers hacked to death a ruling Awami League leader at Rupganj area of Bangladesh, media reports said on Wednesday.
The victim was identified as Beauty Akhtar.
She is a women’s reserved seat member for Ward No 7, 8, and 9 under Kayetpara union of the upazila.
“Victim’s family members said that Beauty Akhtar used to take a morning walk in Chanpara area and Paschimgao area every day. As usual, she went for a walk on Wednesday morning. Later, at 7am, locals found her blood-stained body at Paschimgao area and called for the police,” Rupganj Police Station Officer-in-Charge Mahmudul Hasan told Dhaka Tribune.
He told the newspaper that the victim's head, neck, and hands were attacked with sharp weapon.
“Primarily, we suspect that the victim was attacked and killed with a sharp weapon,” he added.
The body has been sent for autopsy.
Meanwhile, Narayanganj Police Additional Superintendent (Crime) Abdullah Al Mamun told Dhaka Tribune that the murder is being investigated.
- ‘Indiscriminate blasts’ in civilian areas ‘must stop’, UN mission in Afghanistan stresses
- JuD chief and Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed arrested in Pakistan
- Bangladesh: Former President Ershad dies, political leaders mourn
- UN’s Guterres condemns ongoing airstrikes on Syria’s hospitals, medical workers
- Train mishap in Pakistan leaves 21 dead