Moscow (Sputnik/UNI): A court in the Egyptian capital of Cairo sentenced two people to death for staging an attack on a Coptic church in the Egyptian city of Helwan, local media reported on Sunday.
The court also sentenced two people to life imprisonment, four others to 10 years in jail and two more to three years in prison for this attack, the MENA news agency reported. One more suspect was acquitted, the news outlet added.
Along with the killing of nine Copts in the church, the sentenced individuals were accused of creating and financing an extremist group, murdering a police officer, attempted murders and resistance to police.
The deadly attack on the Coptic church in Helwan took place in December 2017. Three assailants involved in the attack were reportedly killed by security forces shortly thereafter.
- Arab coalition strikes at Houthis' positions in Northern Yemen - Reports
- Number of Palestinians wounded in Gaza border violence exceeds 77 people: Heath Ministry
- Israeli police shoot two knife-men after attack on officer in Jerusalem
- ‘Act with restraint’ UN urges Hong Kong authorities and protestors, as airport is disrupted for a second day
- Hong Kong Police arrests five amid protests at Hong Kong Int'l Airport