|Organization Name||:||Friends of the Earth|
|Location||:||London or Leeds office, United Kingdom|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
JOB TITLE: Senior Lawyer
REPORTING TO: Head of Legal
TEAM: Political, Legal and Planning
CAREER STAGE: Band C
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
LOCATION: London or Leeds office
LINE MANAGEMENT: Legal Interns and/or Volunteers
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To provide Friends of the Earth with legal advice and representation in support of our overall aims and objectives, including to: inform and/or develop campaign strategy and tactics, identify and develop strategic litigation opportunities, and/or to help win campaigns.
To provide legal advice and representation to external clients to advance Friends of the Earth’s aims and objectives, and to help win campaigns.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Provide legal services, advice and representation to Friends of the Earth and external clients if required - such as community groups or individuals.
• Lead, be accountable for and/or deliver on agreed major projects
• Recruit and/or manage legal interns and/or volunteers.
• Contribute to the management of the legal team (or agreed projects), including contributing to the development of its strategy, and support or manage more junior members of the legal team.
• Educate and train colleagues, campaigners and activists and target groups on key legal issues.
• Build and maintain relationships to further Friends of the Earth’s aims and objectives.
• Represent Friends of the Earth externally to a variety of audiences as a main contact for the legal team, and at the highest levels; including with lawyers, campaigners, local communities, politicians, senior civil servants, and in the media.
• Defend, promote and strengthen environmental law and access to environmental justice, including by applying expert knowledge creatively and in new ways to achieve this.
• Be aware of and follow Friends of the Earth policies and procedures, with particular attention to: Risk Management; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion; and our values.
• Attend training as necessary and update own Continuing Professional Development record.
• Provide expert advice to priority areas of environmental and/or planning law as relevant to current campaigns, and be Friends of the Earth’s legal expert in agreed areas.
• Work with fundraisers to grow Friends of the Earth’s legal capacity or fundraising success in relation to legal work and the legal internship scholarship.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (ASSESSED AT SHORTLISTING STAGE)
• Qualified solicitor or barrister, with substantial post qualification experience.
• Currently practicing in England and Wales public law and can demonstrate a depth of expertise (from legal practice or academia) in either environmental or planning law.
• Has conducted environmental cases in the administrative or planning courts, at tribunals, or at planning inquiries, with examples of success.
• Demonstrable experience of having presented complex legal information in various forms to non-lawyers, or to a range of public audiences and events.
• Has dealt with a wide range of people such as: technical experts, local campaigners, general public, politicians, government and other officials.
• Proven research and policy formation, or lobbying and representation skills.
• An understanding of, and commitment to, environmental protection and social justice.
• Current experience of managing staff or volunteers.
• Managed cases in the Appellate, Supreme and/or European Courts or at planning inquiries.
• Knowledge of climate, international environmental and/or human rights laws.
• Knowledge of defamation law.
• In-house experience of providing legal advice.
• Experience of campaigning and the role the law can play in achieving social and political change.
• Successful fundraising experience.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES (assessed at the interview)
• Ability to successfully manage competing priorities under pressure.
• Organisational and management skills.
• Ability to work with people from a range of professional and demographic backgrounds – including local campaigners and lay-people – and communicate effectively.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and negotiation skills.
• Commitment to Friends of the Earth’s aims and values.
• Results driven and an ability to work creatively and think strategically.
• A strong team orientated work ethic.
Apply at: https://jobs.friendsoftheearth.uk/vacancies/588/senior_lawyer/