|Location||:||Washington, DC, United States|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
About the Position
BRAC’s Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative (UPGI) seeks a highly motivated and entrepreneurial candidate to help grow our advocacy, partnerships and public outreach and advance our mission. We are looking for an agile, strategic thinker who is a fast learner, intellectually curious and creative with strong work experience in program-based advocacy and a commitment to social justice.
The Advocacy Manager will report directly to the Managing Director of UPGI and will join a leadership team for the growing UPGI. We are a small and mighty team with a roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-things-done work ethic. The Advocacy Manager will be responsible for supporting the Managing Director in executing the global advocacy strategy. S/he will be responsible for cultivating and managing key relationships and promoting BRAC UPGI through partnerships, events, coalition building and representation.
Promotion and advocacy of BRAC UPGI work:
• Develop and execute outreach and advocacy strategies for BRAC UPGI and work across BRAC entities to conduct ongoing stakeholder engagement with individuals through various channels.
• Develop and maintain partnerships and relationships with key stakeholders (including with government and civil society organizations, philanthropic organizations, innovators, and research institutions, among others).
• Represent UPGI at external events and in meetings with high-level targeted stakeholders.
Support cultivation of institutional partners:
• Assist with cultivation of donors and fundraising proposals for grant opportunities that contain a significant advocacy, communications or marketing component.
• Work closely with program teams to ensure strong relationships with institutional partners and delivery of advocacy reporting requirements.
The candidate for Advocacy Manager should have a deep and long-standing commitment to international development, economic empowerment and advocacy.
Additionally, s/he will have the following attributes:
• Education: Bachelor's degree in international relations, government, journalism, law, social sciences or a related field.
• Experience: A minimum of 10 years of relevant international experience and extensive experience in international development and/or advocacy/media or partnerships.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
• Excellent and proven knowledge of the political, media and development landscape.
• Fluency in English with excellent public speaking and writing skills. Excellent speaking and writing skills in other languages are desirable.
• Knowledge of and experience working in international development, as well as experience working alongside government agencies and policymakers.
• Ability to follow numerous technical international development issues in a rigorous and nuanced manner.
• Ability to think strategically and solid understanding of how to implement successful advocacy for policy change.
• Ability to integrate with communications and program teams.
• Experience working with other NGOs on joint advocacy strategies is preferred.
• Experience working in development programming or prior experience working with BRAC or a similar multi-faceted organization is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a geographically dispersed team.
How to Apply
Based in Washington, D.C., This is an outstanding opportunity to support a highly-effective, collaborative and innovative non-profit. BRAC USA offers a competitive package including base salary, medical/dental/vision insurance, FSA, life insurance, 401k, annual professional development stipend and generous paid time off. Note that some benefits are subject to a waiting period and more information can be provided to shortlisted applicants, upon request.
BRAC USA is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with state and federal law.
To apply, please upload your resume, detailed cover letter, references, and writing sample.
No calls, emails, visits, or recruiters associated with this position, please.
Applications received before July 25, 2019 are preferred and the position is open until filled.
BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organizations, dedicated to empowering people living in poverty. Working across 12 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 120 million people worldwide. BRAC takes a holistic approach to alleviating poverty with programs that include microfinance, education, healthcare, food security programs and more.
Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative
Through its Graduation programs, BRAC targets the poorest people in a community, known as the ultra-poor, and uses a holistic, time-bound approach to help them improve their health, learn financial skills, and start a profitable business. More than 95 percent of participants in Bangladesh continue on a positive economic trajectory five years after the program ends. To date, BRAC has ‘graduated’ more than 1.9 million households out of ultra-poverty. BRAC’s approach has gained widespread recognition and adaptations have taken root worldwide. In 2013, BRAC launched the Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative. The Initiative aims to position Graduation as a key driver to achieving Sustainable Development Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms, everywhere.
Apply at: https://www.bracusa.org/join-us/jobs/#op-334294-advocacy-manager-ultrapoor-graduation-initiative