|Location||:||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
CIVICUS exists to defend people power. As a growing global alliance of over 7000 members in 175 countries, we work together to monitor violations of basic civic freedoms, call out the perpetrators of violations and strengthen the power of people to organise by supporting a more accountable, effective and innovative civil society. We strive to promote excluded voices, especially from the Global South.
About the Consultancy
The Innovation Communications Consultant will support various aspects of communication and outreach functions of CIVICUS’ Innovation Stream, whose mission is to empower a more accountable, effective and innovative civil society. This will involve working across a variety of programmes, namely the Resilient Roots initiative and Innovation for Change (I4C).
The consultant will assist in all areas related to the implementation of the Resilient Roots communications and advocacy strategy, collating and summarising learnings from the initiative, evaluating communications channels and being involved in the roll-out of a virtual campaign to increase the adoption of accountability practices in civil society organisations, among others. The consultant will also work closely with the I4C and CIVICUS Communications teams to develop a range of communications and outreach materials for the I4C initiative and other Innovation Stream projects in particular.
In doing so, the consultant will gain knowledge of CIVICUS’ work with civil society around the world - particularly in the Global South – on the socio-political challenges they face, how tech and data-based approaches are being leveraged to strengthen capacities, and how to communicate complex issues with both internal and external audiences.
• Minimum 3 years of experience working in communications or journalism, ideally in the civil society sector
• Experience using social media (especially Twitter), Microsoft Office, Google software, Slack, etc
• Experience using tools such as Piktochart, Mailchimp, ThingLink, Vimeo, among others
• Graphic design/Photoshop and audio/video editing an advantage
• Using analytics (e.g. Google) to inform strategic comms decisions
Please click here (https://www.civicus.org/images/Innovation-Comms-Consultant-ToR-PDF.pdf) for the full Terms of Reference
How to Apply
The closing deadline for applications is the 25thJune 2019. Interested candidates should email their application to
Your application should comprise of
• A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions, responsibilities held, and relevant achievements
• A covering note of not more than 1 page outlining your motivation for applying for the role
• Two published writing samples (e.g. an article, blog post, press release, briefing note, etc), ideally via hyperlink, or attachment
Due to high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
Job Email id: jobs(at)civicus.org