|Organization Name||:||RECOFTC – The Center for People and Forests|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication
Voices for Mekong Forests (V4MF) Project
Application Deadline: 25 June 2019
RECOFTC – The Center for People and Forests holds a unique and important place in the world of forestry. It is the only international not-for-profit organization that specializes in capacity development for community forestry and devolved forest management. RECOFTC engages in strategic networks and effective partnerships with governments, nongovernment organizations, civil society, the private sector, local people, and research and educational institutes throughout the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. With over 30 years of international experience and a dynamic approach to capacity development—involving research, analysis and synthesis; strategic communication; training and learning networks; and piloting and demonstrating—RECOFTC delivers innovative solutions for people and forests.
RECOFTC is currently seeking a qualified candidate to work as Program Officer in the Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication Unit. The successful applicant will be based in Bangkok, with regular travel to RECOFTC focal countries. The contract duration is for 2 years with a possibility of extension depending on performance and availability of funding. The successful applicant will contribute 70% of his/her time to supervise and support the implementation of the communication and advocacy strategy of the Voices for Mekong Forests (V4MF) project and manage its knowledge platform, while 30% of his/her time to support other knowledge management and communication works as part of RECOFTC – The Center for People and Forests and its new Strategic Phase (2018-2023).
The Program Officer, Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication reports to the Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication Director, under the Knowledge Management and Strategic Communications Unit (KMSC). S/he will provide expertise, advice, and support to regional and country programs and partners in the field of communication and advocacy design and delivery including methodology guidance, material development and capacity building. S/he will work closely with other program officers and country teams to design and implement knowledge management and communication plans at the regional and national levels.
RESPONSIBLITIES AND DUTIES
The Program Officer, Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication’s main tasks and responsibilities will be as follows:
A. Voices for Mekong Forests (V4MF) Project support:
RECOFTC in partnership with WWF (Germany and Greater Mekong), East West Management Institute - Open Development Initiative (EWMI-ODI), Nature Economy and People Connected (NEPCon), Lao Biodiversity Association (LBA Lao PDR), Myanmar Environment Rehabilitation-Conservation Network (MERN), Raks Thai (A member of CARE International) and People and Nature Reconciliation (PanNature) are implementing a five year (2017-2021) project funded by the European Union (EU), to strengthen the capacity of Non-State Actors (NSA) for improved forest governance in the Mekong region. The overarching rationale of the project is that for forests to be sustainably managed, civil society must have the capacity to organize themselves to share information, strengthen their negotiating positions and effectively present their concerns and solutions to policy-makers. The project therefore contributes to the Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade – Voluntary Partnership Agreements (FLEGT-VPA) initiative and Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+).
Under the V4MF Project, The Program Officer, Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication will be responsible for the effective implementation of the project’s communication and advocacy strategy and activities plan, and for the coordination of its regional knowledge platform centered on forest governance (and other affiliated topics). The Program Officer, Knowledge Management and Strategic Communication will:
• Work with relevant staff and partners to evaluate and finalize the project Communication and Advocacy Strategy (C&A-S) to meet the project’s outputs and theory of change with a corresponding monitoring system;
• Lead and periodically monitor the implementation of the C&A-S, assess implementing partners’ capacities in delivery, and coordinate with partners and relevant stakeholders to process analysis’ results and adapt the implementation path accordingly;
• Facilitate the development, production and dissemination of a series of communication/advocacy materials and knowledge products in English and national languages, including the mandatory case studies, to support the project’s communication and advocacy objectives;
• Act as trainer/facilitator for capacity development activities on communication and advocacy at regional level as part of a cascading approach, and support capacity development activities at national and local levels;
• Lead the project’s documentation of learning processes for RECOFTC and its partners, and contribute to the development and dissemination of the project’s lessons and learning experiences;
• Ensure that the project is in full compliance with the visibility and branding requirements of the donor, including through the organization of the required annual public event;
• Coordinate with regional partners (WWF, EWMI-ODI and NEPCon) and consultants (as applicable) and provide inputs in the design, development and maintenance of the project webpage and regional knowledge platform on forest governance; and,
• Facilitate synergies and coordination within RECOFTC as well as with other key regional actors in the areas of knowledge management, communication and advocacy, with a special focus on the development of trans-boundary initiatives.
B. Strategic Communication Unit support:
For the RECOFTC‘s Strategic Communication Unit, the Program Officer will work closely with other
RECOFTC’s program staff to:
• Support the development and implementation of effective regional and country-specific communication strategies, activities and tools, in particular emphasizing tools in national languages of RECOFTC focal countries;
• Support the implementation and monitoring of regional communications, media and outreach strategies to further enhance RECOFTC’s brand recognition and dissemination of the Center’s key messages and lessons learned;
• In conjunction with the team, identify and develop various communication products to showcase RECOFTC’s achievements and for knowledge management functions;
• Ensure Social Inclusion and Gender Equity (SIGE) is integrated into RECOFTC communications;
• Take key part in the Unit’s outreach and advocacy events; and,
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager of the Strategic Communication Unit.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The Knowledge Management and Communication Officer will have the following essential qualifications and experience:
• Bachelor Degree (or higher) in communication, journalism, knowledge management or related field
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in communications and/or knowledge management work including an international experience
• Fully conversant with use of new technology for communications and outreach, including the web, multimedia tools and social media
• Track record in translating complex materials into simple and understandable language accessible to people working at all levels, e.g. policy makers, opinion leaders, community leaders and the general public
• Excellent communications skills in both spoken and written forms
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with an experience working in a team; ability to effectively interact with and work alongside people at all levels in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
• Fluency (written and spoken) in English
• Knowledge of forestry or natural resources management, forest governance, FLEGT/REDD+ and/or other related forest conservation or development issues
• Showcase knowledge on Social Inclusion and Gender Equity (SIGE) and the importance of promoting SIGE in Community Forestry and forest landscape management. This is essential in RECOFTC's overall KM and Communication approach and to profile RECOFTC as organization that is on the forefront of this principle
• Fluency in one or more languages from Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Viet Nam
• Experience with coordination of communication officers in national offices in the region
• Experience of engaging with the media
• Knowledge of IT systems, web-design and/or knowledge management software
In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills);
• Interpersonal communication skills, individually and in-groups, with an ability to work as an active member of teams. This implies creativity, flexibility and open-mindedness;
• Possess leadership personality, and able to take on and solve problems quickly and efficiently
• Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which is not inconsistent with an overall team approach)
• Have good understanding on and attitudes towards SIGE elements in the workplace and in performing tasks
• Ability to work effectively in a multicultural work environment with colleagues of different nationalities and cultures
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV and a cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary requirements and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to HR@recoftc.org. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. However, offers shall be based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
RECOFTC retains the right to offer this position at a job grade relevant to the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Job Email id: HR(at)recoftc.org