|Location||:||Goma, Congo, Democratic Republic of|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Head of Mission DRC
Job Title Head of Mission
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Job Location Goma, DR Congo
Closing Date Application Sunday, March 31, 2019
Interviews are scheduled for: April 3-5, 2019
Johanniter has been active in DRC since 1995, with a focus on North Kivu since 2008.
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in North Kivu, DRC, is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve, in close cooperation with the MoH, the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (such as elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV). Furthermore, the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is part of Johanniter’s DRC programme.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Head of Mission is responsible for the planning, management and development of all Johanniter programmes in DRC and for ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter. The Head of Mission provides strategic leadership to develop and maintain strong national and local partnerships, develop and nurture a high performing team and has ultimate responsibility for all security issues. He/she positions and protects the organisation. The Head of Mission cooperates closely with the Global Support Unit (GSU) and HQ in Berlin.
Reporting to: Regional Head of Desk in HQ (first level supervisor)
Director International Assistance in HQ (next level supervisor)
Supervising: directly: Medical Coordinator, Finance Coordinator, HR & Admin Coordinator, Supply & Pharmacy Coordinator, Logistics and Construction Coordinator, Project Development Assistant, Security Assistant, indirectly: team of international and national staff
Receives technical advice from: Relevant Advisors at Head Office
Gives technical advice to: ./.
Standing in for: Medical Coordinator
Replaced by: Medical Coordinator
second: Finance Coordinator
Strategy and Programme Development
• Lead the development and achievement of the country strategy based on global Johanniter strategy.
• Identify new programmes through assessments which support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters in coordination with HQ).
• Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations.
• Proactively explore, evaluate and present new country and project funding opportunities with both institutional and private donors.
• Develop exit strategies and handover – if applicable.
• Oversee the establishment and implementation of programmes in close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator
• Ensure that the country office team and partners have the necessary tools, resources information and assistance to deliver services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols.
• Cooperate closely with existing national partners, provide capacity building, support, input and guidance.
• Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems for program activities are in place and adhered to and ensure objectives are reached in an efficient and effective manner.
• Supervise and coach partners and staff to develop and write high quality proposals and reports for donors and Johanniter HQ and ensure timely submission.
Human Resource and Team Management
• Create and maintain a culture of team spirit and ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of JUH.
• Recruit and hire national staff and recruit international staff in cooperation with HQ.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular bilaterals and performance reviews.
• Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building.
• Exercise and provide all necessary measures for Duty of Care and for JUH to act as fair employer.
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
• Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to.
• Develop, monitor and forecast the annual operational budget and ensure timely management of financial reporting, audit compliance and cash flow.
• Work closely with Finance Coordinator, Logistics & Construction Coordinator, Supply & Pharmacy Coordinator, GSU and HQ on all financial and logistical issues.
• Responsible for all legal matters in country (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.) and ensure fiscal controls and donor required policy controls are carried out.
• Pro-actively follow-up recommendations of internal/external audits.
• Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases.
Safety and Security
• Prioritise Safety and Integrity of all staff at all times.
• Constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
• Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team of Expats and National Staff is safe and well informed at all times.
• Review and update of the security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with HQ and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
• Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Representation and Communication
• Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter in DRC with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination fora
• Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the HQ Communication Desk, prepare regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department, respond to media and press requests.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
University degree in a relevant field
• At least 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, minimum 3 years of proven leadership skills and experience
• Experience in implementing public health / WASH/ nutrition projects for international NGOs
• Experience in working with national authorities, national and international partners including partnership development
• Experience in security management
• Previous working experience in DRC
• The capacity to understand a changing context
• The capacity to manage a team in changing humanitarian context;
• The capacity to motivate and mobilize the team around the key issues for the organisation; and
• Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid
• Strong written and oral communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
• Fluency in English and French with excellent verbal and written communication skills
• German language skills
Terms and Conditions
Start date: Wednesday, May 01, 2019
Contract duration: Definite contract for 12 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 53 185€ and 55 948€ annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR DWBO Anlage Johanniter) internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: - Social security provisions (lump sum 485€ per month) (for expats not falling under social security)
• International insurance package
• 29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
• Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
• Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56€
• per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
HOW TO APPLY:
Contact and application process
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Head of Mission DRC” in the subject line of your e-mail and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.
Job Email id: staff(at)johanniter.de