|Organization Name||:||The Colombo Plan|
|Apply email||:||Not Specified|
Colombo Plan Gender Affairs Program (CPGAP) in Kabul, Afghanistan is looking to hire a University Degreed Engineer (Supervisory Engineer) to oversee the execution of the building renovation project located in Khair Khana district. The proposed renovation of Child Support Center in Khair Khana district of Kabul will provide shelter for children of incarcerated parents from Kabul and surrounding provinces. The renovation plan is to build a dorm style facility, with classrooms, library, playground and living accommodation such as living room, bedrooms, and bathrooms for up to 150 children. The project will be implemented with a reputed construction company subcontracted under the Colombo Plan, with oversight from Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs, Martyrs and Disabled (MoLSAMD).
Under the supervision of the Colombo Plan GAP Project Director, he/she shall be the ‘Supervisory Engineer of the contract as per the duties and responsibilities of the Terms of Reference. The Supervisory Engineer (SE) will be responsible for successful implementation as per the given specifications. The Supervisory Engineer shall be responsible for overseeing and monitoring the design and construction works of the engineers, technicians and other professionals as well as supervising project consultants, as necessary
Goals and Objectives
The main objective of this assignment is to secure professional technical, organizational and supervisory role on execution of the renovation work as specified, setting out the location for all project’s items installations involved in construction operations. The assignment includes oversight directly the design implementation of the civil works and ensures the conformities of the civil work to be performed in accordance with the approved technical documents. The SE works as part of the site management team under direct supervision of the GAP Project Director.
Scope of work and level of details
The SE will be responsibility for the overall supervision of the renovation and expansion of building. He/she will responsible to check produced plans, drawings and BoQs for accuracy of calculations; verify compliance with international codes and standards, ensure that all materials used and work performed are as per specifications; oversee the selection and requisition of materials; agreeing on pricing for materials, and making cost-effective solutions and proposals for the intended project; managing, monitoring and interpreting the contract design documents; liaising with any consultants, subcontractors, supervisors, planners and the general workforce involved in the project; day-to-day management of the site, including supervising and monitoring the site labour force and the work of any subcontractors. The Supervisory Engineer responsibilities are (but not limited to) the following:
1. Be familiar with the construction and material specifications for the infrastructure in the local area.
2. Analyze the project's design and verify that the contractor planned ahead for the safety of workers and members of the public who will be using the facility for decades to come.
3. Review the schedule for practical and achievable completion goals; ensure that the schedule reflects any constraints that may affect the end user’s operational capacity with the job.
4. Monitor Resource Management - monitor manpower utilization reports, the use of materials, funds and other resources to eliminate wastefulness and analyze the construction process to look for inefficiencies.
5. Review and monitor the contractor’s quality control plan. Ensure that when deficiencies are identified, that the contractor implements a mitigation strategy that complies with the international building code and accepted industry practice.
6. Review renovation technical documents, electrical, telecommunication designs, BoQ etc., He/she shall check and coordinate all requested works before construction and secure implementation time framework as well as the day-to-day supervision, coordination, monitoring and follow up of all supply and installation items of premises relocation tasks in accordance with an agreed upon action plan and timeline;
7. Will have read produced technical documents in conjunction with other relevant structural, mechanical, electrical and special systems drawings and all relevant sections of the specifications;
8. Facilitate the approval of site setting and ensure work is done according to the specified and required standard; monitor progress of all construction/renovation related activities on day to day basis to ensure that the contractor complies with approved specifications, Bill of Quantities (BoQs) and work plan;
9. Ensures that quantities and quality are accurate and conducts day to day site inspections of the construction to ensure that execution of the work is done according to the specifications and BoQs of Standard Bidding Documents;
10. Supervises the contractor and advises/proposes corrections in case of any defects/variation/additional/deletion of items identified as well as updates the project director on the work progress on weekly/monthly basis including setbacks. Ensures any matter that requires attention is reported to the project director for action and correction; and,
11. Prepares monthly progress report and ensures completion of tasks on time and provides recommendation and clearance for payment for the works done after due verification of bills. Plus provides designs and BoQs for any additional works identified during implementation of specific civil works contracts, seeking approval from the project director for any changes.
1. Clear monthly work plan schedule for inspection of construction works;
2. Weekly progress reports on all construction/renovation related activities;
3. Construction work is inspected and timely completed based on approved specifications;
4. Well-articulated evaluation report on performance of contracted contractor.
5. Reports any unusual incidents, accidents, or security concerns as soon as possible after the occurrence, but no later than 24 hours.
6. Reports any issues that may affect project pricing and/or timeline, such as differing site conditions, government road closures, delays obtaining materials, etc.
7. For any delays in the project timeline, work with contractor personnel to develop remediation plans to make up time.
1. Self- driven and results focused;
2. Problem solving skills, conflict resolution with an eye towards customer service while keeping Colombo Plan’s best interest in mind and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately to resolve issues;
3. Conceptual thinking and analytical skills, with a strong eye for detail;
4. Computer literacy. Includes proficiencies with Word, Excel, Microsoft Project.
5. Organizational skills. Civil engineers also often manage several projects at the same time, and thus must be able to balance time needs and to effectively allocate resources.
6. Speaking skills. This requires the ability to speak clearly and to converse with people in various settings, and to translate engineering and scientific information into easy-to-understand concepts.
7. Writing skills. Civil engineers must be able to communicate with others, such as architects, landscape architects, urban and regional planners. They also must be able to explain projects to elected officials and citizens. Civil engineers must be able to write reports that are clear, concise, and understandable to those with little or no technical or scientific background.
1. University degree in Engineering or equivalent;
2. Registered Professional Engineer or foreign equivalent is preferred.
3. Minimum of 10 years of direct professional experience of implementing similar renovation projects in Afghanistan;
4. Core competence in Planning, Cost Estimating, Risk Management, Quality & Delivery Assurance;
5. Experience in delivering these types of projects in the diplomatic/ international agencies will be an added qualification;
6. Experience working in conflict zones/high security environment preferred
How to apply:
International applicants are welcome to apply.
Interested applicants are invited to submit the detailed curriculum vitae to:
before 15 November 2018 (Due to the urgency of the recruitment and selection, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the interviews may take place before the deadline)
Job Email id: cpgapproposal(at)colomboplan.org