Just Earh News 19 Jun 2017
According to news reports, the fast-moving wildfires ripped through the forested Pedrógão Grande central region of Portugal, some 150 kilometers (95 miles) northeast of Lisbon, leaving dozens dead and more injured.
“I wish a speedy recovery to the injured. At this time of loss, my thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the victims,” said Guterres.
The UN chief went on to commend the Government, firefighters, emergency responders and civil society organizations who are sparing no efforts to battle the wildfire and help people in need.
“The United Nations stands ready to assist in any way possible,” the Secretary-General concluded.
- One in six deaths caused due to pollution
- Portugal wildfire leaves 41 dead and many injured, fans political blame too
- INTERVIEW: Few global issues as urgent as tackling climate and disaster risks – UN official
- California fires: Death toll climbs to 31, officials announce names of 10 victims
- At least 23 people die as northern California firestorm grows