Just Earh News
According to news reports, the fast-moving wildfires ripped through the forested Pedrógão Grande central region of Portugal, some 150 kilometers (95 miles) northeast of Lisbon, leaving dozens dead and more injured.
“I wish a speedy recovery to the injured. At this time of loss, my thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the victims,” said Guterres.
The UN chief went on to commend the Government, firefighters, emergency responders and civil society organizations who are sparing no efforts to battle the wildfire and help people in need.
“The United Nations stands ready to assist in any way possible,” the Secretary-General concluded.
- UN chief 'saddened' by loss of life and devastation caused by landslide in China
- Country-level action 'new frontier' for tackling soil pollution – UN agriculture agency
- Sri Lanka's food gap widens in wake of regional floods and drought, UN agencies warn
- Record high temperatures grip much of the globe, more hot weather to come – UN agency
- IAEA International Conference to explore fast reactors and related fuel cycles