Buenos Aires (Sputnik/UNI) - A massive power outage plunged Argentina and Uruguay into darkness on Sunday morning, the Buenos Aires based utility company Edesur said.
"A massive failure in the electrical interconnection system has left Argentina and Uruguay without power. We will provide more information," the power distributor tweeted.
Argentina has been without power for an hour, a Sputnik correspondent in Buenos Aires confirmed.
Uruguay’s state power company UTE said lights went out at around 7 a.m. local time (10:00 GMT). Power supply has already been restored to some coastal cities, it added.
- ‘Firmly united’ Security Council can bolster Colombia’s efforts to secure lasting peace, says UN envoy
- First men on the moon ‘came in peace’ to UN Headquarters ‘for all mankind’
- Zimbabwe: Droughts leave millions food insecure, UN food agency scales up assistance
- UN stands in solidarity with Japan following deadly arson attack at leading animation studio in Kyoto
- UNICEF urges ‘transformative shift’ in family-friendly work policies to reap ‘huge’ benefits