Damascus (Xinhua/UNI): Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday that the economic siege is a new shape of war on Syria, state news agency SANA reported.
The tools of international politics are now taking the shape of pulling out ambassadors and launching an economic siege, Assad said.
Countering terrorism will lead to a political solution in Syria, and talking about political solutions amid the presence of terrorism is an illusion, he added.
Assad's remarks came at a time when the Western powers tightened the economic siege on Syria after eight years of war.
Syrian government officials have said the United States and its allies are using the economic weapon on Syria after the Syrian army recaptured much of the country.
Image: Wikimedia Commons
- 'Huge' stakes, 'daunting' job to tackle gender-based violence, UNICEF chief tells ground-breaking conference
- Around 600,000 Afghan children face death through malnutrition without emergency funds: UNICEF
- Brexit effect: Theresa May to resign as PM
- US indicts WikiLeaks founder Assange on 17 additional criminal charges : Justice Dept
- China, Huawei present real risk to US national security: Pompeo