Just Earth News | @JustEarthNews | 10 Mar 2018
New York: United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday said he is “encouraged” by the announcement of an agreement between the United States and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) to hold a summit meeting by May.
“[Mr. Guterres] commends the leadership and vision of all concerned and reiterates his support for all efforts towards peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in accordance with relevant Security Council resolutions,” said UN Spokesman Stéphane Dujarric in a statement.
The statement follows yesterday’s reported proposal by the DPRK to hold talks with the US and its southern neighbour, the Republic of Korea, and to put its weapons and missile testing programmes on hold while the discussions are being held.
- Pakistan: Pervez Musharraf quits as APML chairman
- Strong multilateral institutions key to tackling world’s dramatic challenges, UN chief says In Moscow
- UN chief welcomes ‘positive steps’ towards peace between Eritrea and Ethiopia
- Nepal PM KP Oli meets Chinese President Xi in Beijing
- US quits UN Human Rights Council