Just Earth News | @JustEarthNews | 10 Mar 2018
New York: United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday said he is “encouraged” by the announcement of an agreement between the United States and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) to hold a summit meeting by May.
“[Mr. Guterres] commends the leadership and vision of all concerned and reiterates his support for all efforts towards peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in accordance with relevant Security Council resolutions,” said UN Spokesman Stéphane Dujarric in a statement.
The statement follows yesterday’s reported proposal by the DPRK to hold talks with the US and its southern neighbour, the Republic of Korea, and to put its weapons and missile testing programmes on hold while the discussions are being held.
- Islamic states 'shocked' by Trump's call for Israeli sovereignty over Golan Heights- Zarif
- Pompeo, Netanyahu make historic visit to western wall in Jerusalem
- US to unveil details of Trump's mideast deal of century soon : Pompeo
- Turkey condemns US attempts to legitimize Israeli occupation of Golan Heights : Cavusoglu
- US imposes new N. Korea sanctions on two Chinese-based shipping firms : Treasury Department