Just Earth News
“We are moving food stocks by road and air to provide food to all those affected and stave off hunger among already highly vulnerable families,” said Felix Gomez, UN World Food Programme (WFP) Country Director in CAR.
The UN agency wants to reach about 7,200 people displaced by militia violence in Bangassou, in south-eastern CAR, and neighbouring areas.
In addition to food rations, WFP will deliver specialized nutritional food for children two years of age and younger, to fight malnutrition.
WFP has requested $9.9 million to continue to provide aid to CAR, one of the world's poorest countries. So far, half of that amount has been secured.
- As crises multiply, UN revises annual aid appeal to assist over 100 million around the world
- UN migration agency launches $60 million appeal for famine-struck East, Horn of Africa
- UN agencies urge aid for cyclone-hit communities in Bangladesh, Myanmar
- UN urges aid for civilians swept up in Central African Republic’s ‘new spiral of escalating violence’
- Senior UN official appeals for aid to stop 'unprecedented' spread of cholera in Yemen